Inside: Spanish Teacher FAQs. Answers to your top questions and resources to help save Spanish teachers time.
Hey friends. It is Allison from Mis Clases Locas. After over five years of having Secondary Spanish Space (& coming up on 8 for my own site), we have quite the collection of ideas for Spanish teachers. I thought it might be helpful to organize some of our posts based on the frequently asked questions by Spanish teachers.
Spanish Teacher FAQs
How do I get my students to speak Spanish?
Check out these blog posts for all the tips on Spanish speaking activities and assessments
- Interpersonal Speaking Assessments & Conversation in Class
- 8 Awesome Speaking Activities Your Students Will Love
- Spanish Speaking Activities for Mondays
- Get Your Students Speaking Spanish
- Three Simple, Classroom-Tested Ways to Grade Speaking Activities
- Grab this Free Speaking Activity to get started!
How do I get my students to read more in Spanish?
Using novels as a class or free reading is an excellent way to get your Spanish students to practice reading. See these posts for more information on exactly how to get your students reading.
- Teaching a Novel 101 in Spanish class
- How to teach a novel – a typical day
- Spanish class library – How to start one and what to do with it
- The Game Changer with Free Reading
How do I get more interpretive listening practice in Spanish class?
Music, films, and short videos make for great interpretive listening practice in Spanish class.
- Music in Spanish Class: 15 Ways to Use Authentic Music
- March Music Bracket in Spanish Class
- How-To Teach a Movie in Spanish Class
- The Ultimate List of Movies to Show in Spanish Class
- Interpretive Listening Ideas in Spanish Class
- EdPuzzle: Engaging & Comprehensible WL Video Activities
- Netflix for Spanish Teachers: 5 Binge-worthy shows
- 20 Pandora Stations for the Spanish Classroom
- Grab this Free Movie Guide if you are in a pinch
How do I start with more Comprehensible Input?
Here are ideas for how to shift to using more comprehensible input in your classes.
- Comprehensible input in Spanish class
- How to start Spanish class with High-Frequency Words
- Movement in Spanish Class – 10 ways to get students out of their seats using CI
- Classroom Routines for Spanish class
- 13 Instagram Accounts to Follow for CI Tips
- Taking the Plunge: My Plan for Shifting to CI this Year
- Using Sheltered Videos for Comprehensible Input
- How to Movie Talk
- Grab this free mini-unit using CI to teach Ser to try it out
What are seasonal ideas to mix up my year in Spanish Class?
Here are seasonal resources and ideas in calendar order from January to December.
- Post Winter Break
- Black History Month – ideas for greater equity
- Valentine’s Day
- National Foreign Language Week ideas
- March Madness – spring music bracket
- Las Fallas (in March)
- Spring Break Chat
- Earth Day
- Cinco de Mayo: ideas for Spanish Class
- End of the Year – Lip Sync Night
- Pride in Spanish Class
- Back to Spanish Class: 1st Week of School
- Spanish Class Distance Learning – How to start the year digital
- First Week of School in Spanish Class
- Hispanic Heritage – one song from each country music bracket
- Day of the Dead ideas
- Thanksgiving in Spanish Class
- Winter holiday ideas
What are thematic ideas for class?
If you are tied to a textbook or specific curriculum, these ideas will help you out with specific themes or grammar points you might need to cover.
- Spanish Time Activities, Lessons
- Spanish Alphabet Activities
- Introductory Conversation & Greetings
- Spanish Commands Activities and Lesson Plans
- Preterite vs. Imperfect Activities
- Present Tense in Spanish Class
What are tech tools that will help a Spanish teacher?
Here are some tech tools to try out or to bring back to spice up your classes.
- The Best WL Distance/E-Learning EdTech Tools
- The Best EdTech Tools for the WL Classroom
- The Big List of Technology Resources for Spanish Class
- Spanish Virtual Learning Class Tips & Tricks
- 7 Reasons to Love Quizlet Live in the WL Classroom
- Everything You Need to Know about Using Boom Cards
- Grab this Free Google Slides activity to practice tener
What other questions do you have? Let’s connect on Instagram and send me all your Spanish Teacher FAQs!
Do you want more inspiration and resources sent right to your inbox? Sign up for the Mis Clases Locas Newsletter here.
Abrazos! – Allison