Resources & Ideas for Hispanic Heritage MonthWhat to do during Hispanic Heritage Month in Spanish class? First, these posts have many resources, links, and ideas to use for Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Lista lunes: Hispanic Heritage Month – Mis Clases Locas
- 6 Hispanic Heritage Month Ideas – La Secundaria
Activities for Hispanic Heritage Month
MusicFirst, I have found that authentic music is an excellent way to connect with students while getting them engaged in the varied cultures of the Spanish-speaking world. You could play a new song during passing time, at the start of class, as a bell ringer, or use a song as the focus of an entire cultural lesson or unit. Besides these 15 ways to use authentic music in Spanish class, below are more music ideas for Hispanic Heritage Month.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Music Madness – Mis Clases Locas & NEW one song for each Spanish speaking country #6 for 2021
- Or if you teach younger students or at a more conservative school, check out YOUNG 1 song from each country instead!
- 20 Pandora Stations for Spanish Class – La Profe Plotts (SSS)
- Afro-latinx music for Spanish class
FilmsEveryone could use and deserves a little break and authentic films for Spanish class do just that. Input in Spanish, while learning about the diverse cultures of the Spanish world is a win-win. It all depends on your goals as to what audio and subtitles you use. For upper-level classes, I like to use Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles. For novice classes, I prefer Spanish audio and English subtitles. The only times I use English audio is for culture or maybe early Exploratory class, but with using a culture-rich film. If you are looking for documentaries, check out these 5. You can find all of my movie guides HERE or my movie guide bundle here. Here are a few of my favorite appropriate films for Spanish class. this list of videos for HHM from Mrs. Cabello for lower school.
ArtAlso, Art is another cross-curricular way to gain students’ interest. You could read the novel Frida Kahlo by Kristy Placido, do an art unit, or just infuse art by projecting it or using it as decor in your room. Here are other art ideas we well.
- Galería: 10 artistas latinoamericanos que debes conocer
- Exhibits & Collections for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Make your own Diego Rivera Mural – Kid World Citizen
- 10 pintores latinoamericanos del siglo XX que debes conocer
ReadingPlus, I personally love to use comprehensible cultural readings or novels in Spanish. In my own classroom, I mostly use novels and texts written for Spanish learners. You can see all of my many posts about teaching with novels here. But, if you teach upper levels or heritage learners, this is the perfect time to pull out poetry, short stories, and books written by Hispanic authors. Below are more ideas including authentic infographics, novels, and comprehensible cultural readings.
- Interpretive Reading Activity: HHM Infographic – Spanish with Sra Shaw
- 10 books by Latinx authors to read (more advanced)
- Acento Latino Readers written by Native Speakers for Spanish students
- Do a school-wide Music Bracket aka Hispanic Heritage Month Music Madness
- Throw a World Language Lip Sync Night – World Language Cafe (SSS)
- Invite everyone to an event from your Spanish Club – Sol Azucar (SSS)
- Host a movie night and show an authentic movie from this list – Spanish Mama (SSS)